Kolab Mail archiving - software, methods, experiences?

Christian Rößler Roessler at FuH-E.de
Fri Jan 23 12:19:26 CET 2009

Tobias Oed schrieb:

>> I am in need for mail archiving, that means that every incoming and
>> outgoing mail has to be archived somewhere.
> Be aware of the privacy rights of your users! Not sure how legislation
> goes where you're at but this is something you need to consider.At a
 > minimum, they must be fully informed.

Thanks for mentioning, even if these things are already solved. Users
are fully informed, and there is no private mail. If this was not so, I
would not do this migration, as legislature here in germany is (as far
as I know) pretty strict in this regard.

>> - postfix (main.cf) always_bcc=archiv at kolab.lokal.tld. [... ]each mail
 >> goes threefold to the archive / gets tripled. Does anyone know an
 >> easy way around that?
> put the always_bcc in master.cf as an option to the last postfix smtpd
> in the chain -o always_bcc = archiver... You're in for a nightmare though
 > - I have a customer who does that and it's hell.

Yes, I tend to think that too; if I do that I will have to 'sieve' until
kingdom's coming (if I may say so). But besides that, why would you say
'nightmare'?

>> - has anyone integrated Octant Opensources OMA Open Mail Archive
>> <http://octant.org> into Kolab, and if so, which are the experiences?
> It works. The kolab modifications are minimal, even more so since the
> archiving is done by a postfix content filter. There is a plugin to
> authenticate users against the kolab ldap. If you need help, we (octant)
> can help  :)

Thank you, and I must say this solution seems tasty to me. I will try it
right now.

So here are my first questions (if I may): You wrote in
<http://opensources.octant-fr.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?39.post>
about kolab integration. Where do I put that code snippet?
/kolab/local/oma/lib/plugins/auth/ldap/ldap.php, obviously? (By the way,
first line: "<;?php", shouldn't that be: "<?php"?)

Well, I got two fast questions. First one: I just got a blank screen
when entering http://kolab.lokal.de/oma/ (kolab.lokal.de just used
internally, here). But some source html is delivered; please see below
[1], if that helps. I presume the demon does not start. If I start it
'by hand' it says:
| kolab:/kolab/local/oma # /kolab/local/oma/bin/omad.php
| PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant AF_UNIX - assumed 'AF_UNIX' in
| /kolab/local/oma/lib/Socket.class.php on line 51

Any hint, please?

> Here it's obviously oma  :)

Obviously :)

> ps: Apologies for sending this privately yesturday Christian.

No apology needed! To the contrary: I thank for your answer, and your
help offer.

Best regards,
Christian

[1] Delivered source html:
<head>
<title>Open Mail Archiver</title>
<script type='text/javascript'
src='http://kolab.lokal.de/oma/javascripts/oma.js'></script>
<link rel='StyleSheet' href='http://kolab.lokal.de/oma/style.css'
media='screen' type='text/css'/>
 >link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' media='all'
href='http://kolab.lokal.de/oma/includes/jscalendar-1.0/calendar-blue.css'
title='win2k-cold-1' />
<script type='text/javascript'
src='http://kolab.lokal.de/oma/includes/jscalendar-1.0/calendar.js'></script>