Another free/busy odditiy - Kontact vs. DNS?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Thu Jan 22 17:33:43 CET 2009

Hi all,

while I was resolving my own problem with Kontact and free/busy (see list
archives... it was a problem with a SSL certificate), several other users
came to me also with free/busy problems. Again, free/busy simply did not
work - and I was not even able to find any requests from them in the server
logs. After some experimenting I finally found the solution for this problem
as well: Contrary to our other users (and myself), the users with the problem
had their FreeBusyRetrieveUrl set to: "https://KOLABSERVER/freebusy/"
All other users have "https://KOLABSERVER.DOM.AIN/freebusy/". To my great
surprise, only the second version (with the full domain) works. This is
especially puzzling, as "host KOLABSERVER" yields the same result as "host
KOLABSERVER.DOM.AIN" on the command line. Same with Konqueror - it does not
matter whether I enter the domain or not, Konqueror does display the correct
page on our Kolab server. Kontact seems to be the only exception.

Does anybody have an idea why this is? Should I file a bugreport?

Regards,

Thomas