Groups for shared folders

Alex Kent alex at DragonRising.com
Wed Jan 14 18:40:24 CET 2009

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for your advice on using cyradm for seeing what was going on. I
have found a work-around on 2.2.0 so that I'm able to use groups
(distribution lists) to set permissions on shared folders.

As people have been stating, I didn't need to append 'group:' to the
front of the email address used. The system did that for me fine.

With the web admin panel configured to give permission for
UID/email/GID="staff-group at starfields.net" and  permissions='all':

localhost> lam shared.test at starfields.net
group:staff-group at starfields.net p
manager lrswipkxtecda

So clearly, the 'all' permissions weren't getting through to the imap
server.

So I played with adding permissions manually to the web admin folder:

staff-group at starfields.net = "read/post"
staff-group at starfields.net = "append"
staff-group at starfields.net = "write"

And this now results in:

localhost> lam shared.test at starfields.net
group:staff-group at starfields.net lrswipted
manager lrswipkxtecda

This allows me to subscribe to the shared mail folder using thunderbird,
and add mails to it. I'm guessing I should be able to assign a public
email address to it in the normal way.

Thanks for everyones help in finding this work-around without me having
to compile/upgrade anything!

Best wishes,

Alex