Kontact for Mac OS X experience (so far)

Del delonly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 22:34:46 CET 2009

I just tried installing the client today. I have not tested the Kolabwizard
yet, nor actually tried to send mails.

Test system:
MacBook running Leopard 10.5.5

Experience:
-The installer worked flawlessly
-Upon re-boot after installation, the screen resolution was wrong
-Dragging the binary kontact.app over to the dock went fine, but the icon did
not follow. However, starting Kontact made the Kontact icon appear on the dock
instead of system icon from Apple
-Moving to mail made the window impossible to resize, only after resizing the
window from clicking KOrganizer tray icon could I again resize the Kontact
window
-I did quite a bit of clicking around, and so far only managed to provoke a
crash from closing the KOrganizer tray process.

On the general side I really must applaud kdepim4, it simply looks beautiful
on Leopard and should be a worthy opponent to Entourage once stabilized. I see
that Macports has Kontact from KDE4.2:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/kde/kdepim4/Portfile
which I would assume is quite stable.  I will see if I get around to testing
it.

If there is any particular information you would like to see posted, please
inform me, and I will see what I can do. Also interesting to hear if an
updated Kontact for Mac on Kolab.org is probable in the near future.

Cheers,
Del