Q: Kolab and Mac OS X?

Till Adam till at kdab.com
Tue Dec 8 09:28:10 CET 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 08:28:35 Del wrote:
> > I just don't want to tell my boss that everything is perfect with
> > Kontact/OS X, and run into tons of issues later...
>
> Not a ton of issues, but Kontact for KDE4 has been under heavy
> development, so you should expect some issues. During my testing
> (which was on Kontact versions before summer) I found very few issues
> running under an updated Leopard. Apart from icon missing, and KWallet
> being quite intrusive, I actually only found one annoying issue. That
> was during scheduling, when changing time unit on the time axis, it
> brought Kontact to a long halt. In other words, few issues that may
> very well be resolved by now. That said, you are an early adopter, and
> Kontact under KDE4 has even had critical bugs under linux as late as
> this summer. Hence, you should prepare your boss for the possibility
> that he can experience issues. On the other hand, using Entourage is
> not exactly flawless either, so if that is the alternative, he should
> consider himself lucky having you to guide him to an adequate
> alternative ;)

Thanks, Del, that's actually a pretty accurate assessment from the developers'
point of view as well, thanks for sharing it.

We're currently putting a lot of effort into what will become the enterprise5
version of Kontact, based on an entirely new architecture, the Akonadi
framework you might have heard about. In that version, Mac, Windows and mobile
and other embedded platforms have been designed in as targets from the start,
and I'm happy to report that our development versions work just fine on OSX
and Windows, so far, as well as of course on GNU/Linux. We'll need some more
months to get that version to general availability, but the efforts in that
direction are funded and ongoing.

Cheers,

Till