MX Konfiguration Issues

Johannes Graumann johannes_graumann at web.de
Wed Aug 12 12:41:31 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I finally made the leap and went for a full blown hosted setup.
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/ tells me everything should be ok and googlemail
sent messages arrive (Gmail is using my server directly).

Other services are trying to use the providers backup server and report
trouble with relaying like so:

<test.user at graumannschaft.org>: host
mx0.stratoserver.net[81.169.163.94] said: 550 relay not permitted (in reply
to RCPT TO command)

I ACCEPT> mail from other domains over unauthenticated SMTP. and have
81.169.163.0/24 in my Privileged Networks list.

Can anyone hint at what might be going wrong here? I attach a transcript of
the managment GUI's "Settings" page ...

Thanks for any hints, Joh

Kolab Server Settings
Only IMAP/SSL Service (TCP port 993), Sieve service (TCP port 2000 and
Amavis Email Scanning (Virus/Spam) are enabled.

Quota settings
Warn users when they have used 80% of their quota

Free/Busy settings
DO NOT Allow unauthenticated downloading of Free/Busy information

When creating free/busy lists, include data from <EMPTY> days in the past.

Privileged Networks
Networks allowed to relay and send mail through unauthenticated SMTP
connections to the Kolab server (comma separated networks in x.x.x.x/y
format):
127.0.0.0/8, 81.169.163.0/24

SMTP "smarthost/relayhost"
Smarthost (and optional port) to use to send outgoing mail
(host.domain.tld). Leave empty for no relayhost. :
<EMPTY>

Accept Internet Mail
<ACCEPT> mail from other domains over unauthenticated SMTP. This must be
enabled if you want to use the Kolab Server to receive mail from other
internet domains directly. Leave disabled to accept mail only from SMTP
gateways that are within the privileged network.

Domains
graumannschaft.org

Mail Filter Settings
<NO> Check messages for mismatching From header and envelope from.
<NO> Use the Sender header instead of From for the above checks if Sender is
present.
Action to take for messages that fail the check:
<YES> Reject the message, except if it originates from the outside and the
>From header matches one of Kolab server's domains. In that case rewrite the
>From header so the recipient can see the potential forgery.
<NO>Always reject the message. Note that enabling this setting will make the
server reject any mail with non-matching sender and From header if the
sender is an account on this server. This is known to cause trouble for
example with mailinglists.

Kolab Hostnames (for Master and Slaves)
h1616679.stratoserver.net