Blackberry, Horde, Thunderbird, Outlook co-existence

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Sun Apr 19 15:15:26 CEST 2009

Am 17.04.09 18:43 schrieb(en) Tom Malone:
> One Inbox has their mail from Outlook and the other Inbox has new
> mail that they have not seen.  This is VERY confusing to the user.

In the German locale, the situation is a little better, as Outlook
names it's INBOX "Posteingang".  I could hack horde to still display
"INBOX" for the /real/ inbox, so users at least can distinguish them.
What if you tell your users to re-name their Outlook Inbox to "Outlook
Inbox" or something like that?

> Sadly, I must disagree with you on this point.  Users, at least in my
> experience, are more and more starting to read mail from different
> devices and programs in different locations.

I can only confirm that!  Several of my users meanwhile use Toltec,
iPhone, Thunderbird (both via imaps) and Horde in parallel.  An other
really bad fact is that Toltec (or Outlook?) basically "destroys" some
messages on the server, including signed and encrypted messages and
mdn's, for all other MUA's [1].

> I am just trying to see if the collective wisdom of the group can
> give me any experience in this area.  It just might be that creative
> hacking can't get me around this problem and I will need to
> re-evaluate the configuration of a group of my users.

I'm not sure if the problems are Outlook or Toltec-specific.  If you
find any improvement/solution (maybe using other Outlook connectors?),
it would be great if you could share it on the wiki, as (I guess) many
people desperately are in need for it!

Best, Albrecht.

[1] <https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue3229>