Could not bind to LDAP server in Debian Lenny

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Apr 17 06:24:38 CEST 2009

Quoting Villads Egede <info at egede.com>:

> Hi,
>

> I'm new to this mailing list and new to Kolab. I've been trying to
> install Kolab on a fresh Debian Lenny installation but end up with an
> error in the admin webinterface saying "Could not bind to LDAP server:
> Invalid credentials". I've installed Kolab through apt-get and tried
> everything I could to get rid of this error.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi!

You are using a native port (Kolab2/Suse, Kolab2/Debian,
Kolab2/Gentoo, ...) of the core Kolab2/OpenPKG system. Such native
ports have far less stability (as they see less testing) than the
OpenPKG-based server.

For people that are not an expert in mail server configurations we
would always recommend to use the OpenPKG-based version as the benefit
of having a working system is usually higher then the benefit of being
able to use the system tools of your favorite distribution.

This does not mean that the people on this list won't answer your
request if they are able to do so. But the likelihood of finding the
right answer to your problem might be higher by contacting the
maintainers of the native port directly.

For direct support for your specific port we suggest to use the
following contact possibilities: