Blackberry, Horde, Thunderbird, Outlook co-existence

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Apr 16 18:46:00 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Tom Malone wrote:
> The main problems we have with the current setup are the two Inbox
> folders in Horde and Thunderbird

What exactely are the issues?
Note that with IMAP email can come in from almost any folder.
So having a folder called "Inbox" should be fine (in addition to the top
folder which could be displayed differently). We probably will change Horde to
behave in this respect.

> and email messages disappearing into
> Outlook, and out of the IMAP clients, only to reappear later when the
> connector syncs to the server.

Once you know about the effect it should be okay, because as users you are
usually only using one client right now.

> Therefore, I have come up with the following design that I think may
> help alleviate the problem.

> 2. Create an IMAP only mailbox for the user with a flat name space.

I advise against the "flat" namespace.

> 3. Upon delivery filter all appointments into the POP only mailbox and
> the rest of the mail to the IMAP only mailbox.

Note that there already is a marker for filtering, this is called Mailbox
Delivery for the Webadmin Interface for the role user. So it is recommened for
group users to activate this sieve script.

Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998