Blackberry, Horde, Thunderbird, Outlook co-existence

Tom Malone tmalone at lancer-ins.com
Tue Apr 7 18:39:40 CEST 2009

Recently I have been thinking about the co-existence of the various mail
clients and the Kolab server.

Because the POP/IMAP constraint Outlook puts on the various connectors
using a connector along side another IMAP client has proven to be
problematic for my users.

The main problems we have with the current setup are the two Inbox
folders in Horde and Thunderbird and email messages disappearing into
Outlook, and out of the IMAP clients, only to reappear later when the
connector syncs to the server.

Therefore, I have come up with the following design that I think may
help alleviate the problem.

What I am thinking of is as follows:

1. Create a POP only mailbox for the user.

2. Create an IMAP only mailbox for the user with a flat name space.

3. Upon delivery filter all appointments into the POP only mailbox and
the rest of the mail to the IMAP only mailbox.

4. Setup an hacked IMAP proxy in front of the IMAP server.  The proxy
would rewrite all traffic going through it so that requests for the
users INBOX/Inbox becomes a request for simply INBOX.  This should
satisfy the dual level name space that the Connectors require.

Configure the various clients as follows:

Outlook

Configure Outlook to POP the appointments from the POP mailbox.
Configure the Outlook connector to periodically fetch mail from the IMAP
server through the IMAP Proxy.

Thunderbird

Configure Thunderbird to have an IMAP account.  Don't use the proxy for
this account.
Configure Thunderbird to have a POP account and filter all mail coming
into the POP account to the IMAP Inbox.

Horde

Configure Horde to look at the IMAP account. Don't use the proxy for
this account.
Configure Horde to use the Fetch Mail functionality to periodically
fetch the appointments from the POP mailbox and place them in the IMAP
Inbox.

BlackBerry

Configure the BlackBerry to look at the IMAP account. Don't use the
proxy for this account.
Configure a second email account on the BlackBerry to fetch mail from
the POP account.

For me the two biggest question marks are the IMAP Proxy and the Outlook
Connectors polling the IMAP Inbox.

For the proxy I would probably use Perdition and hack/configure is as
needed.

Does anyone else have any experience with using the Toltec in timed sync
mode on the users Inbox?  Can a folder reasonably be synced every 5
minutes or so?   Will the new messages from the server come over before
the old stuff gets synced?  etc...

Has anyone else tried anything similar, or have any additional thoughts
on this setup?

Just curious.

Tom

Thomas Malone, Systems Administration Manager
Lancer Financial Group Companies
370 West Park Avenue, Long Beach, NY 11561
(516) 431-4441 x3230 tmalone at lancer-ins.com

Please consider our environment before printing this email message.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be
legally privileged.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication and any of its contents or
attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message and please delete this message from all computers and servers.