Outlook cannot read kolab global address book?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Mon Sep 1 13:29:03 CEST 2008

Hi Bernhard:

Am 01.09.2008 11:43:36 schrieb(en) Bernhard Reiter:
> how does this compare to kolab/issue732 (outlooks addressbook does
> not directly list entries with openldap)?

Yes, you're right, it's exactly the same.  Sorry for not looking in
more detail through the issues...

> As far as I know, when you search in the address book or the
> completion is active, Outlook will use LDAPv3 and show the global
> addresses from Kolab Server's OpenLDAP. For some other occasions
> Outlook does not seem to use an LDAPv3 protocol standard (see the
> issue for an example).

Yes, there is even a related Microsnot kb:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555536/en-us/>.  The problem is that
Lookout apparently checks for the presence of VLV extensions (OID's
2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.9 and .10).  I found comments in some OpenLDAP
forum that those are not standardised and thus not implemented in
OpenLDAP, and probably not going to be ever supported unless the IETF
releases them as a standard.  Now Outlook refuses to browse through the
address book, which *is* be possible using Active Directory via LDAP
(tested).  The only solution seems to use the Toltec address book
plug-in.

> Microsoft developers levels as well.

To be honest, I think M$ introduced it *intentionally*...  I didn't
check yet if it's still in Office/Outlook 2007, but in that case it's
probably something which you (as software developer/service company) or
we (as end users) should complain about at the European Commission, as
this smells like an unfair way to avoid competition.  Just my € 0.01,
though.

Cheers,
Albrecht.