Script to massively insert users into Kolab?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 1 11:51:53 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 18:44, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op Monday 25 August 2008 22:55:49 schreef Alain Spineux:
> > > But does this script not bypass all the checks that are build into the
> > > kolab frontend?  Wouldn't it be better if there is a hook in kolab,
> > > that can be used to insert user data and that checks that the data is
> > > correct?
> >
> > The web interface could have a "mass user creation" page that is
> > accepting to cut and paste a CSV file, and check for user consistency.

Currently the implemented strategy is: the directory service is central,
so any directory service tools are fine and the web admin is just one.
However, because the OpenLDAP server cannot model all restrictions,
the clients will enforce some additional checks.

> But that would just be a workaround,

Yes, I would also put forward that this kind of mass import does not happen
very often, so using a script speaking LDAP is feasable for it.
Anyway, if the wish is very popular something could be done,
so the next step would be to create an entry in the tracker.

> because the next question will be for
> a API that be can be accessed by another system.  I assume the best thing
> would be a, I think, soap interface that can deal with this.  The process
> that processes the data from the SOAP interface could than also be used for
> a web interface...

(Should probably be discussed in the issue or on kolab-devel at . IMO the script
would always be an ldap client and the directory service would ideally model
all further constrains.)