Can I use Kolab with Exim/Dovecot instead of Cyrus?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Oct 30 09:07:05 CET 2008

> I currently have my home mail server setup with Exim4, Dovecot and Horde. I
> really want to be able to get my my PIM data from my server into Kontact. I
> have tried using WebDAV but I do not think that Kontact supports that method
> and all my research has led me to Kolab.
>
> I really only want to use Kolab as a backend for my Kontact applications for
> the family so that we can share calendars and be able to get our own PIM data
> from our phones to the server and then down to our machines.
>
> I am running Kubuntu 8.04 on all the machines in the house, including the
> server. When I attempted to install Kolab from the repository it wants to
> remove my installation of Exim4-heavy during the installation process. I know
> after reading some of the website that Kolab seems to depend on Cyrus, but I
> was hoping that I might be able to setup Kolab as a backend and still keep my
> mail server running as it is.

This is not possible. Kolab provides a well tested system of a dozen
or more components that are being configured to work together
flawlessly. Of course you can try to use your own components but then
you don't need Kolab and build your own type of mail server. This is
possible but requires a decent amount of knowledge  (which you
probably have as your are already running your own mail server).

Concerning the connection between Kontact and Dovecot: This is (not
yet) possible. Only the Cyrus IMAP server has all the required
features for Kolab data storage. This is currently being prepared for
dovecot but it is work in progress and I'd only expect this to work in
the next year.

Cheers,

Gunnar