Can I use Kolab with Exim/Dovecot instead of Cyrus?

Tue Oct 28 13:30:00 CET 2008

I currently have my home mail server setup with Exim4, Dovecot and Horde. I
really want to be able to get my my PIM data from my server into Kontact. I
have tried using WebDAV but I do not think that Kontact supports that method
and all my research has led me to Kolab.

I really only want to use Kolab as a backend for my Kontact applications for
the family so that we can share calendars and be able to get our own PIM data
from our phones to the server and then down to our machines.

I am running Kubuntu 8.04 on all the machines in the house, including the
server. When I attempted to install Kolab from the repository it wants to
remove my installation of Exim4-heavy during the installation process. I know
after reading some of the website that Kolab seems to depend on Cyrus, but I
was hoping that I might be able to setup Kolab as a backend and still keep my
mail server running as it is.

Thanks for the help.

-Eric