Possible workaround(s) for mail user temporary suspension?

Christian Rößler Roessler at FuH-E.de
Thu Nov 27 11:08:02 CET 2008

Alain Spineux schrieb:

>>> What do you means by suspend ?
>>> Able to read his mail but not eable to send ?
>>> Even not ebale to access his mailbox ?
>>> Email sent to him should bounce ?
>> Well, I just need the 'suspended' user to stay in the LDAP tree for the
>> posixAccount, also for the nss-ldap in the intranet, and as
>> documentation that the user once existed.
> You can remove all the Kolab's related objectClass and their attributes.
> Then these cleaned entry will be ignored by postfix and probably by
> the weba admin interface too. I dont know if any tools exist for this.

I also have not found any tools for this.

Well, I had just the same thoughts, so for trying it out I wrote a shell
script that reads a given user entry, strips each Kolab related entry
and object class from it and writes the Kolab related entries into an
LDAP archive branch. After testing I notified Kolab really does not
recognize the 'stripped' entry anymore. While that script is very, very
buggy until now , I think it will suffice as 'proof of concept', so far.

I think it would be surely better if there wwould be a Kolab-integrated
solution, I am sure I could live with this for a while. Unfortunately,
while I am good at scripting I am really bad with PHP, so I see no
chance for me to integrate this into the web frontend.

I do also see the problem that (with this solution) the disabling would
be possible, as Kolab 'sees' the entry then; but not re-enabling, as
Kolab would not see the disabled entry.

So I would be glad for a better solution, but as said, I think I have to
live with the scripted solution for now.

Again, thanks for your hints!

Best regards,
Christian