Outlook connectors feedback

Price,Neil NPrice at gibb.co.za
Mon Nov 3 15:07:38 CET 2008

I've been testing some Outlook connectors on Kolab.

Toltec

It works fine and is reasonably priced. The manual is a bit confusing. Its
got an awkward method of downloading the emails via pop3 and synchronizing
it back again. You end up with 2 inboxes in Horde because of that. It uses
pst files with their limitations. Its slow on start-up and synchronization
on a big mailbox (150MB)

Its got ntlm support so a single sign on is theoretically possible if you
used a samba-kolab ldap setup, but I could not find info on this yet.

Bynari

Its got a nice feature where it will copy the emails from your existing
Outlook profile. This worked fairly well copying emails out of an MS
Exchange profile but some of the sender emails addresses got trashed in the
import. It looks really professional but it kept locking up on me while
downloading the emails on a big mailbox. It would sync to about 5% and lock
up. I will test it on another machine in case it just did not like the one I
was testing on (this is windows, remember). It does not use pst files. Its
more expensive that the Toltec one. A lot more, like 50% extra.

Konsec.

This is quite similar in principle to the Tolltec one except it does not use
pst files. I had heard that Konsec used a mapi connector but it is the same
pop3 setup. Synchronization was noticeably quicker than the other two on a
large-ish mailbox (150 MB). It was quite stable on the same PC that the
Bynari crashed on. There is also ntlm support. The manual is only available
in German.

Its quite expensive if their price list is accurate, like about 3 times the
price of Toltec.