Basic questions regarding installation of Kolab

Paul Douglas Franklin pdf at yugm.org
Tue May 20 19:22:18 CEST 2008

Duffields wrote:
> None of the books I bought to study Linux have any mention of Kolab in them so
> I am pretty much starting from a point of total ignorance to install Kolab.
>
> I used to think that I knew something about computers but I am obviously
> beyond my depth.  There are some fundamental questions that are not referred
> to in what I have read and I am not able to mentally tie the things I have
> read to the installation of Kolab.
>
> Sorry to be so dumb but could somebody point me to where I can get answers to
> such fundamental pre-installation questions as:
>
> 1. Is it necessary to install Ubuntu server (or any server) on the desktop
> computer that will be used both as a client and as the Kolab server, or is
> Kolab a complete server?

I installed Ubuntu server simply in order to have a stripped-down
installation.  As Alain said, the risk of using a desktop machine is
that the user will suddenly decide to shut down or otherwise interfere
in nice tidy running.
> 2. The business of setting up my own DNS and connecting it to my mail provider
> (ISP) is perplexing.  My router provides DNS service. I think I know what DNS
> is and I think that Kolab will be a domain in itself and all requests from
> all the LAN computers will be handled by the router but perhaps I am wrong.
> I see Kolab as a repository of data as well as a file controlling/locking
> device that controls access to the data stored on the Kolab server.

I doubt that you have to worry about DNS.  Kolab will have whatever
domain you assign it, and you can set your workstations to address it by
IP address.

> Since I do not have a www domain, I assume that Kolab just requests mail from
> my ISP mail accounts and then makes it available to each client on the LAN.

See http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Fetchmail_with_Kolab2
This is the setup I have at home, and it works well for incoming.  Of
course, I have a box dedicated to Kolab.  I don't know whether having it
on a user's machine will complicate matters.
Others would be better able to advise you on outgoing.  If you continue
to use your ISP-provided addresses, you can simply continue to use their
SMTP.