Backup/restore process

Paul Douglas Franklin kolab at paulfranklin.org
Mon May 19 00:19:27 CEST 2008

I tried the backup/restore process again.  I ran into two problems:
1)  When it runs the line:
su - kolab-r -c "/kolablbin/ctnl_mboxlist -u" <
/oldserver/backup/imapd/mailboxlist.txt
it returns the result:
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file.
2) An update on the same problem I had last week:

Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:
> When I ran
>
> rm -rf /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data/*
> /kolab/sbin/slapadd -l backup/ldap/kolab-ldap.ldif
>
> it gave me the following:
>
> Warning:  no DB_CONFIG file found in directory:  /kolab/var/openldap.

I found the problem with DB_CONFIG.  It has been erased by

rm -rf /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data/*

Now I would like to know what does and what does not need to be erased.
* is too much, but what is enough?

Finally, I occurs to me that I may be going about this the wrong way.
My intention is to upgrade without subjecting my working Kolab box to
the danger of my fumble fingers.  Would it be better to install the same
version on the new drive, transfer the data in, and then upgrade?

And I wonder:  Once Kolab has been installed and I want to restore data
from the former installation, is there a reason not simply to copy the
entire /kolab directory from the former installation to the new
location, instead of doing it piecemeal?

--Paul

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759