Is Kolab for me

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sat May 17 01:49:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Duffields <dhltd at telus.net> wrote:
> We have five computers on a small LAN connected to the WAN by a single router.
> About six months ago, I decided to give Linux a serious try and now have both
> Ubuntu or Xandros installed on four of the five machines (one uses Windows
> XP).  It has been a bit of a trial but it all works.... sort of.
>
> We want to allow all computers to share a common email, contact list, and
> calendar.   It appears that the best solution would be to install an IMAP
> server on one of the desktop machines but I know very little about such
> things.  Since, after trying out several PIM applications, it appears that
> Kontact is the best for our needs, it would seem to make sense to install
> Kolab as the IMAP server, but I wonder if it is overkill.
>
> Having used Ubuntu for about six months, I know a little bit about Linux but
> not much about networking and almost nothing about servers so my questions
> are:
> 1. Is Kolab suitable for this application or is it too much for our needs?

Kolab is ideal small office like your!

> 2. Can someone with almost no knowledge about server applications to set up
> and maintain Kolab?

While this is not easy, this is certainly not more difficult than any
other product in this category.

> According to a Kolab website, documentation for Kolab 2
> is only available in German and  though my daughter studied it,I do not know
> German myself.

You are wrong no documentation exist!
Even in German!
I joke :-)
I remeber some document in German mostly about Kontact configuration,
and maybe some word about
the server part. I remember the documents were mostly readable, thanks
to the very meaningful screenshots.

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Make a try, install it on a computer, and try to configure some
"kontact" to exchange emails internally.
Take a look for each feature you want, ask this list.
When you are happy connect it to the Internet for real.

Having a real server, at least a separate computer, with RAID disk and
a backup sytem is better.

One tips: avoid to install it on a machine with a 64bits OS version.

Regards.

> Thanks
> Mac

Alain Spineux