Is Kolab for me

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Fri May 16 18:13:18 CEST 2008

We have five computers on a small LAN connected to the WAN by a single router.
About six months ago, I decided to give Linux a serious try and now have both
Ubuntu or Xandros installed on four of the five machines (one uses Windows
XP).  It has been a bit of a trial but it all works.... sort of.

We want to allow all computers to share a common email, contact list, and
calendar.   It appears that the best solution would be to install an IMAP
server on one of the desktop machines but I know very little about such
things.  Since, after trying out several PIM applications, it appears that
Kontact is the best for our needs, it would seem to make sense to install
Kolab as the IMAP server, but I wonder if it is overkill.

Having used Ubuntu for about six months, I know a little bit about Linux but
not much about networking and almost nothing about servers so my questions
are:
1. Is Kolab suitable for this application or is it too much for our needs?
2. Can someone with almost no knowledge about server applications to set up
and maintain Kolab?  According to a Kolab website, documentation for Kolab 2
is only available in German and  though my daughter studied it,I do not know
German myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mac