the last mile troubleshooting ...

Jacquelin Bureau burja2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 05:39:25 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm just finishing to configure a Kolab setup over a xenified SuSE 10.3 kernel (2.6.22.17-0.1-xen version) on a AMD Athlon64 6400+ (4Gb mem).

The installation description posted on the Opensuse Web site went very well (I added two small notices though as a workaround for a small config  glitch over missing apache/php/smarty pathnames in php.ini)

I also installed a Kontact client running on a nearby laptop for testing.

All services are up and running, initial testing has given good results on connectivity (via telnet). My ISP blocks both smtp 25 and 465, but I worked my way around that too.

Despite all goodness that happen during this installation, I'm not able to send a mail via Kontact on my laptop to an outside address (my address at Y!) through Kolab :-s  I'm able to get from imap internal mails sent through mailx but nothing else.

I reconfigured services in kolab to accept internet mail and gave an alternate smtp service over an obscure port, I even dropped all firewall on both portable and the server... with no results...

the "worst", even with kolab logging "verbosis" at level 4, the messages log holds only usual housekeeping suff (with a T_ Debug prefix).   Archiving are ok, etc....  same for mail.err and its related logs.

Cyrus imapd fumbled over  "dracconn:localhost RPC program not registered, but seems to move along (and logs a DRAC notifications disabled).

I need some suggestion to troubleshoot this installation and close the loop to put the server online.

Thanks in advance,

J.Bureau