Smarthost being ignored

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 03:55:12 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Simon Powell <cabletastic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me - this was already the case but I now
>  have a much more far reaching issue which I feel may have been the
>  issue all along. When I log in to the manager (post a reboot earlier)
>  I get the message 'Could not bind to LDAP server: Can't contact LDAP
>  server'
>  Did a lookup on this and was advised to run a repair of LDAP
>  (db_recover -h) and to restart the service. I put the verbose flag
>  onthe repair so I could see if it was actually doing anything ( I just
>  guessed that the database to be repaired was openldap-data) and it
>  seemed to repair but when I try to restart openldap I get :-
>  openpkg:rc:WARNING: /kolab:openldap:%start: failed with return code 1
>  openpkg:rc:NOTICE: no output occurred on stdout/stderr

An error in the ldap configuration file could also prevent the service to start

start openldap manualy using

# /kolab/libexec/openldap/slapd -d 1

If the error message is unclear try using 2, then 3, then 4, then 5
until you get something you can understand.

Look the kolab's wiki for interesting information about how to deal with ldap.

MAKE A DAILY BACKUP (AND KEEP SOME ARCHIVE OF THEM)
OF YOUR CRITICAL DATA. (I put this in upercase because this is important :-)
and so easy, look the wiki)

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com