munin

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Fri Mar 14 23:04:01 CET 2008

Hi,

this week I have installed an application called munin.  It is a (from the
website) monitoring tool to survey all your computers and remembers what it
saw. It presents all the information in graphs through a web interface.
(more information at: http://munin.projects.linpro.no/ and look for about
munin).

I like the way it present the information, but even more the easiness of
installation.  On openSUSE the only thing I needed to do, was to install the
rpms (the package manager took care of the dependencies ;) ).

With Munin this idea
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Soc_2006#Kolab_centralized_log_management_and_analisys
 is implemented :)

Although I don't have the figures yet for amavis, clamav, openldap and
spamassassin (did I forget a service?).  However, I just discovered munin
exchange: http://muninexchange.projects.linpro.no/
It has plugins for clamav, openldap and amavis.  I'll soon install the
openldap one.  Unfortenately a plugin for cyrus is missing.  Does anyone now
how to obtain figures of cyrus' performance?  Does someone have a cyrus
plugin for munin?

Last: I think that munin would be a great application to add to the kolab
server, especially when it comes with the additional plugins for the services
that are used by kolab.  I think that it would be rather easy to even
configure (add) slaves automatically to the config file of the main munin
host (using kolab's template mechanism).  If intergrated, it would be nice it
it is part of kolab manager login.

Example munin output: http://munin.ping.uio.no/

Just to let you know, that this application exists and seems usefull to kolab
admins.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless