Connect to multiple kolab servers

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 22:53:11 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> I found the solution to this one. In KMail, you can set the send
> account per identity, so I set up a second SMTP account and chose the
> right ones for my three identities, and sending is now completely
> covered.
>
> I still think it's a KMail bug that it doesn't check more than one
> SMTP server by default, when the user has entered several, but at
> least I can avoid this issue now.

That's not a bug. That's by design. In fact, trying to send with all
available accounts can easily be considered a privacy problem.

The correct solution for this problem is system-wide network profiles
(because it's not only the SMTP server that depends on the network you
are currently using), but this feature still awaits implementation.

> On onsdag den 5. Marts 2008, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Next question: I now have two kolab servers running in two
> > different companies. I have connected to them without any problems,
> > but sending mails from Kontact is problematic.
> >
> > When I'm in one office sending mails from my thorsen-consulting.dk
> > address, I can't use the other server as sender, because it won't
> > allow a From: address that isn't in it's list of domains. Not even
> > when I'm using an authenticated SMTP session. The reverse situation
> > is there when I'm in the other office.
> >
> > So I need to go into the KMail setup and change the send server and
> > account information whenever I need to switch to a From: address
> > that is on the other kolab server.
> >
> > The obvious fix is to just have two send accounts in KMail, but
> > that doesn't work. It just connect to the first, barfs, and stops.
> > It never uses the second one. Not even when I switch which one of
> > them is the standard one. This one is a KMail bug waiting to be
> > submitted.

Make sure you re-try with the latest version before submitting a bug
report. I seem to remember some problems with the handling of the
standard account.

Whenever I have accidentally used the wrong server I simply used
File->Send Queued Messages Via to send using the correct server. You
can also choose which server to use for each message by choosing the
correct server from the dropdown list of the Send button.

Regards,
Ingo