Gerneral Kolab Questions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jun 16 15:33:01 CEST 2008

Am Montag, 16. Juni 2008 13:17:33 schrieb Jay Hall:
> While researching open source groupware, I ran across Kolab and it
> appears to be exactly what I am looking for.  A couple of questions came
> to mind which I cannot find answers to.
>
> 1.  I understand users can share contact lists.  Is it possible to setup
> a global address list for users and for them to have a private address
> list?

Yes.
Two methods:
a) use a directory service and have the client ask via the LDAP protocol
for the global address list
b) Use a folder of a group account and give all users read (or write) access

> 2.  Will Kolab sync with a Blackberry type device?  From what I have
> read, I believe it will, but want to make sure.

No (for 80% of how I understand the question).
Kolab Server provides an IMAP interface, AFAIK blackberries need to have the
email be routed via their servers. I would assume they can fetch this from an
IMAP server, however the Kolab solution potentially uses several imap folders
for incoming emails and I am not sure if blackberries' servers can do this as
well.  As for contacts and appointments, you could install extra software to
sync on the Blackberry, now the Kolab Server would need to be able to send
the data. There is a highly experimental version of the Horde client that
enables some version of Syncml. So no, this is not a stable enterprise
solution yet. Having a connection piece to funambol might be interesting at
some point, but also this is not yet developed.

Best,
Bernhard