Authenticated relay?

Tobias Oed tobias.oed at octant-fr.com
Tue Jun 10 15:53:42 CEST 2008

Simon Barrett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How would I go about allowing a user to send using an email address from
> another domain after authenticating with his primary kolab email address via
> smtp auth?
>
> We have a .ie domain name, our .com equivalent was bought through a separate
> provider.  A provision of that contract is mail aliasing; when set up, an
> email to user at example.com is sent to user at example.ie on our mail server.
> However, a particular user requires that he can reliably send using his
> address at is the .com domain.  He will be on the road mostly and will not
> have a static IP.
>
> For the foreseeable future, only a handful of users will have this
> requirement, so implementing and administering a second domain instance is
> overkill.  However, I would like to have complete control over this relay and
> send and receive all company mail through our mail server.  I would also like
> to limit the functionality to the .com domain, if possible.

This works with kolab 2.1, it might also work with your version:
Simply add an alias to this users properties. Your kolab server will
then allow that user to receive/send with the .ie as well as the .com
address.
This is managable since you don't have too many users, just hope it
stays that way.
Tobias Oed

--
*Tobias Oed* - Octant Informatique <http://www.octant-fr.com>