Don't make this mistake with Kontact

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Tue Jul 29 13:36:41 CEST 2008

Greetings all.

Last night I made a fatal mistake with Kontact and my Inbox.  I am using KMail
1.10.0 from KDE 4.1 RC1.  I am sure this is a KMail problem and not anything
in Kolab, but since many people use Kontact/KMail as their client, here's a
warning:

On one account, I right-clicked on my Inbox, and from the drop down menu
selected "Copy Folder To -> Troy Carpenter -> Copy to This Folder".  Kmail
then erased all the email in my Inbox, recreated all the cyrus.* files, and
showed two Inbox folders for my account, both mirroring the other (that is,
they were both the same view into the same folder, not distinct folders).

I was trying to copy the Inbox folder into a subfolder of itself (which was
blocked by KMail when I tried it later with the empty Inbox), but chose the
wrong level.

Just beware in case users try to do this on their own...

Troy Carpenter