Kolab vs Scalix

Liutauras Adomaitis liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:53:56 CEST 2008

Hello everybody,

does anybody knows anything about Kolab and Scalix comparison. We are
choosing
solution for groupware server for 40 users network. All users are with
Windows workstations. We didn't decided, but as a client we plan to use
either MS Outlook (2003/2007) or Mozilla Thunderbird. Outlook is more
mature,
but Thunderbird is closer to our "Open Source Spirit".
We have tested Kolab2 and several connectors to Outlook did not seem to work

very well (some are not MAPI, the others work very slow). SyncKolab also did

not act the way we expected. I understand that there maybe our problems, but

still it is problems for us.
We did not tested Scalix yet, but got some recommendations about it.

So what does Kolab users think about Kolab and Scalix.
- Server installation, maintenance and backup
- Commercial support (this is a big issue for us)
- Outlook support
- Thunderbird support
- Webmail (Horde vs Scalix Java webmail)
- Any links on the web about this comparison

Price is not a big issue for us as long as it is cheaper than Exchange.

Liutauras