mail bounced

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Mon Jan 7 12:11:08 CET 2008

On January 7, 2008, rajnish kumar wrote:
> Jan 07 15:36:56 indo <warning> postfix/pipe[1797]: warning:
> pipe_command_read: read time limit exceeded
> Jan 07 15:36:56 indo <info> postfix/pipe[1797]: F3D86859C01E:
> to=<pawan.kumar at indo.com>, relay=kolabmailboxfilter, delay=1001,
> status=bounced (Command time limit exceeded: "/kolab/bin/php")

The default for postfix command_time_limit is 1000s.   You can see by the
delay=1001, that you have exceeded that limit.

This limit is not PHP enforced, but postfixs pipe delivery.  The pipe program
uses command_time_limit as it's default time limit.  The transport
kolabmailboxfilter uses pipe to pass off the data to the PHP script as the
transport.

When postfix hands off the data via pipe it is taking longer than 1000s (or
almost 17minutes).  Which is quite alarming.

Have you checked the resources on this server?  How process heavy is it?   How
is the memory?   How is the disk I/O?  If you have 800 users, during peak
performance you could quite easily tie up all of the resources, and
processing grinds to a halt.

You also did not mention if this was bouncing all email, or just some.   If it
is just some, it is most likely during overload when this occurs.  You could
probably fix this by increasing command_time_limit in main.cf.template, but I
think if this is happening frequently you are pushing the limits of your
server, and should look to upgrade.  You wouldn't want a processing delay of
30 mins per email, just because the server is too busy to handle the load.

Andy