Amavisd/clamav/spamassassin from the host OS

Luca Fornasari luca at furna.com
Tue Feb 26 07:36:06 CET 2008

Hi Gunnar,

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Amavisd/clamav/spamassassin from the host OS
From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>
To: Luca Fornasari <luca at furna.com>
CC: Kolab Users <kolab-users at kolab.org>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 16:14:38 GMT+0800 (HKT)
> Hi Luca,
>
> Luca Fornasari <luca at furna.com> writes:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm currently running kolab 2.1.0 installed using openpkg.
>>
>> Is there any contraindications or lost functionality (eg in the web
>> interface) disabling amavisd/clamav/spamassassin in the kolab tree and
>> enabling the OS "native" packages for this software?
>>

> I believe that should work since that route is just port based. As
> long as you use the same ports you should be fine.
>
> Would be nice to know if it works for you. I would document it in the
> wiki then.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

It works great; I took a few step to achieve the main goal (I'm using
Debian etch) without disturbing the running system

1) Install clamav related packages: clamav, clamav-base,
clamav-freshclam, libclamav3 -using volatile repository-
2) Add the newly created user clamav to the kolab-r group
3) Stop and disable clamav from the /kolab tree
4) Install clamav-daemon -from volatile repository- and check it is running

At this fase the system is already using the newly installed clamav from
Debian

5) Install razor, pyzor, dcc and dspam (amavisd-new Debian package seems
to use dspam even if spamassassin doesn't)
6) Install spamassassin -using the volatile repository- configure it to
run the cron job included in the Debian package
(etc/default/spamassassin) and to enable pyzor, razor and dcc
(/etc/spamassasin/local.cf) and any other configuration for your own site
7) Stop and disable both spamassassin and amavis from the /kolab tree
8) Install amavisd-new -from volatile repository- and immediately change
the port amavisd-new uses to give the message back to postfix from port
10025 to port 10026 (edit /etc/amavisd-new/conf.d/50-user and add the
following two lines
$notify_method  = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10026';
$forward_method = 'smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10026';
This is needed because port 10025 is used to inject back mail to postfix
from the kolabfilter
9) check amavisd-new is running and test your system!

Hope this helps

Cheers
Luca

--