spamassassin question about emails used for learning

helga.mayer at uni-hohenheim.de helga.mayer at uni-hohenheim.de
Sun Feb 10 12:47:01 CET 2008

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Richard Bos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how long should one keep the messages, that are used to teach spamassassin,
> what is spam and what is ham.  Sofar I have not been able to find this
> information.  Must the (spam/ham) emails be kept for each spamassassin
> (sa-learn) run, or can they be removed after e.g. 1 sa-learn run?

There is a database named

bayes_seen
     A map of message-ID to what that message was learnt as. This is used
so that SpamAssassin can avoid re-learning a message it has already seen,
and so it can reverse the training if you later decide that message was
previously learnt incorrectly.

You don't need to keep the emails used for a sa-learn run.
You would only need them in case the database gets corrupt and you
want to rebuild it from scratch - or if you want to reverse the training.

Helga Mayer