how do groups work?

Adam Katz kolab at khopis.com
Wed Feb 6 22:21:49 CET 2008

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Adam Katz <kolab at khopis.com> writes:
>
>> Using kolab-webadmin, I can set permissions for a Shared Folder by
>> "UID/email/GID."  I'd like to set a folder to a group of users (GID),
>> but I can't seem to figure out what that means.  It's not a
>> distribution list ... how do I create a group of users for Kolab?
>
> I think it should be a group (didn't check the code now). But from
> your request it looks like that is not working.

> Can you try to use cyradm to check the ACLs on the shared folder?

Here's some ldapsearch and cyradm output
(I changed my dc to "d" since this email will be archived):

$ ldapsearch -x -W -D "cn=manager,cn=internal,dc=d,dc=com" \
    "member=cn=Adam Katz,dc=d,dc=com" cn
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope subtree
# filter: member=cn=Adam Katz,dc=d,dc=com
# requesting: cn
#

# spam-police, d.com
dn: cn=spam-police,dc=d,dc=com
cn: spam-police

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

$ cyradm -u manager localhost
IMAP Password:localhost>
localhost> sam shared.spampolice at d.com spam-police at d.com lrswipda \
  spam-police lrswipda
localhost>

(I wasn't sure which to try, so I tried both.  I also tried just
spam-police at d.com.)  After this, I checked whether I could subscribe
in ThunderBird.  No dice.  Back to cyradm:

localhost> sam shared.spampolice at d.com adam at d.com lrswipda
localhost> lam shared.spampolice at d.com
spam-police at d.com lrswipda
spam-police lrswipda
adam at d.com lrswipda
localhost>

Thunderbird confirmed this works.  Groups are failing somewhere.  Any
time I use kolab-webadmin to modify the folder, permissions get wiped.

>> (I'm using Debian Etch packages for kolab-webadmin 0.4.0-20060810-4
>> with kolabd 1.9.4-20060707.dfsg-2)
>
> This might also be a specific bug of the Kolab2/Debian setup.

I hope not, that would make it harder to track down.