Kolab 2.2 on (k)ubuntu 8.04 hardy x86_64

Divan Santana divan.santana at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:20:53 CEST 2008

Hello All,

I've been trying everything to get kolab 2.2 install on (k)ubuntu 8.04 hardy
x86_64 but have had no luck.

# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        8.04
Codename:       hardy

I followed this URL but its simply not working for me:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04
Perhaps the above URL only works for 32bit?
NOTE: This part of the website that says
"In addition, you need to set the privileges on obmtool:
chmod +x obmtool"
I couldn't find obmtool anywhere.

This is what I did and what error message I'm getting.

I downloaded the sources using:
rsync -L -rtzvP rsync://rsync.kolab.org/kolab/server/release/kolab-
server-2.2.0/sources/ .

File size looks correct:
# du -sh kolab2.2/
317M    kolab2.2/
# du -sk kolab2.2/
323812  kolab2.2/

All packages I believe needed are installed:
# apt-get install make gcc build-essential
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
make is already the newest version.
gcc is already the newest version.
build-essential is already the newest version.

verify download integrity:
md5sum -c MD5SUMS
All returns "OK"

I then proceed to install kolab from source by doing
sh install-kolab.sh 2>&1 | tee /root/kolab-install.log

After a long time (of building/compiling) it errors out with:
"+ case "amd64-ubuntu8.04" in
+ ./configure --prefix=/kolab --disable-shared
checking build system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... pentium3-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking ABI=32
checking whether /kolab/bin/cc is gcc... yes
checking compiler /kolab/bin/cc -fPIC ... yes
checking compiler /kolab/bin/cc -fPIC has sizeof(long)==4... no
configure: error: could not find a working compiler, see config.log for details
error: Bad exit status from /kolab/RPM/TMP/rpm-tmp.24265 (%build)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /kolab/RPM/TMP/rpm-tmp.24265 (%build)"

Is there something I'm doing wrong or does kolab 2.2 not install on ubuntu 64
using this method?

Thanks very much for any feedback.

Divan