Master/Slave functionality?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 22:10:14 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I was looking for an Exhange replacement in a mixed client environment,
> and came across Kolab. It really seems like a fantastic project, and I
> would like to learn more. The Master/slave functionality is very
> interesting from several aspects, but there seems to be almost no
> documentation as to what it does and how it works. I am more than happy
> to contribute to the Kolab wiki on any information provided.

Here is my understaning of slave/master features.

- Slaves and master are all identical except the ldap is running on
the master. I dont thing if some ldap replication are done between
slaves and master.
- You have to choose which node will host any new mailboxes you will create.
- Any node can receive email for any mailbox and redirect it to the
"hosting" node
- Users have to use the good node to connect using imap or pop3, I
thing Horde is able to redirect query to the good node.

> First up, I assume it is possible to have multiple slaves but only one
> master. Can anybody confirm this?

Yes

> Will slaves function as back-up e-mail servers by default? If so, I
> assume it is necessary to set-up mx records for the slave in case the
> master server crash?

Not backup email server, but slave can be backup MX.

> Will Slaves mirror the Master by default, if so how is synchronisation
> set-up (rsync and cron?, default time intervals?)? In particular,
> does/can a Slave server function as a back-up of the entire Master
> server?

No sync between slave and master (except maybe for ldap)

> It seems to be possible to allocate users to a Slave server. Is this
> simply to route mail to the Slave for load balancing (i.e., distribute
> the system workload among the servers) and/or distribute net traffic

Yes to all.

> (e.g., have the master and slave on separate locations/LAN-networks and
> make sure mail and other data is sent, stored and served on the users
> local network)?

Cyrus has some feature to distribute mailbox around nodes and make
email replications.
But these features are not used by kolab.

> Cheers,
> Del

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com