amavisd logrotate

Tobias Oed tobias.oed at octant-fr.com
Wed Apr 30 14:48:28 CEST 2008

Alain Spineux wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Tobias Oed <tobias.oed at octant-fr.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  for the second day in a row, amavis fails to restart properly
>>  after its logs are being rotated.

[ snip ]

>>  So the old instance hasen't quit yet while the new one is already
>>  started. When this one tries to bind to its socket it fails because it's
>>  already in use.
>
> Which OS are you running ?

Debian etch with the precompiles openpkg kolab 2.1

> Do you have this problem when you run this commend too ?
> # openpkg rc amavisd restart

Sometimes, depends on if amavis is busy processing a mail when doing the
shutdown.

> And when running this one (without the implicit sleep )
> # openpkg rc amavisd stop start
>
>>  Anyone seen this before? What can I do to prevent this from happening?
>
> in /kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.amavisd, you could try to increase the sleep
> time, here sleep 2
>
> %restart -u root
>     rcService amavisd enable yes || exit 0
>     rcService amavisd active no && exit 0
>     rc amavisd stop
>     sleep 2
>     rc amavisd start
>
> Please tell us if increasing the sleep time as solved your problem ?
> If this is a problem with the socket option "reuse_address"
> you should use a sleep time > 30sec  maybe more.

I tried sleep 60 and it didn't come back up again this night but Mea
culpa: I modified my amavis config so it would quarantine spam and
reference it in a mysql database. This database grew huge over time and
it took amavis ages to deal with an email. A little cleanup and mysql
tuning gets amavis much faster.

Tobias Oed

--
*Tobias Oed* - Octant Informatique <http://www.octant-fr.com>