Delegation

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 30 14:03:26 CEST 2008

Eleni,

On Tuesday 29 April 2008 14:21, Eleni Postantzi wrote:
> With Exchange, the administrator can either grant the "send as"
> permission to a user or the "send on behalf of" permission.
>
> With Kolab and Outlook, when sending an e-mail using the delegation
> feature, the recipient will receive the e-mail tagged as :
> mail sent from assistant at mydomain.com in behalf of chief at mydomain.com
>
> "Send as" feature is a very important one as it lets an assistant send
> en e-mail as if he were the chief without showing to the recipient
> that it's not the chief replying but him.
>
> I found out that with Thunderbird and Kontakt, it is possible to use
> the "send as" feature if creating a new identity. However, using this
> with Outlook is not possible due to several reasons (administration,
> usage, support).

in principle you can also use a different identity with Outlook
and Kolab Server. Just the switch between the identities will not
be as smooth as with KDE Kontact.

> Is there a way to use the "send as" feature instead of "send on behalf
> of" ? Or probably develop it?

As proprietary software, Outlook is a blackbox towards external developers.
Thus for Outlook functionality we are limited to what the vendor implements
(or provides API hooks for). Maybe there are workaround in one of the other
use case. (Like marking the send email somehow and rewriting this on the
server. This is quite a dirty solution, though.)

Bernhard