Problem with Kontact on ubuntu 7.10

James Hughes webmaster at wessex.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 11:05:15 CET 2007

Well as a long time Kubuntu user I thought I would wade in on this topic :)

I am using the new 'enterprise' kontact in kubuntu and crash it does...sadly a
lot. Moving large amounts of emails, deleting imap accounts and pressing too
many buttons at once all seem to be things that 'upset' the kontact program.

That said the new functionality is really useful like being able to move
folders between imap accounts (takes about 50 attempts tho because of the
afore mentioned crashes!)

I have suggested to Riddle that next year I may be starting up a Kubuntu
Enterprise project, a fork of Kubuntu for the business desktop that stops
striving so much for new functionally (as ubuntu always does with its 6months
off of debian unstable) and instead focuses on getting a really solid FREE
business distro out there with the power of deb package management and the
notoriety of ubuntu. Maybe if I find some willing helpers for that program we
can give kubuntu the care and attention it needs to make it play nice with
kolab, which btw i still can not get to install on kubuntu 7.10.

Lots of work needed to get it running anywhere near as smooth as opensuse.

James