OpenSuSE 10.3 integration

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Oct 15 07:13:07 CEST 2007

Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Op Sunday 14 October 2007 08:00:10 schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
>> > Hooking in with Horde is also important to me.  I am using Horde IMP and
>> > the Contact/Calendar SyncML stuff right now.
>>
>> The Horde patches are also in the directory given above. Are you using
>> Horde with a Kolab server right now? I'd not expect SyncML to work
>> with the Kolab drivers at the moment. The changes added to the Horde
>> share system still pose some problems to the internal API calls.
>
> Would horde gain something when using http://www.opensync.org ?
> As I see it, it would mean that the horde devs would only need to care for the
> interface and anylonger for the interaction between devices and the PC.

I think Horde itself would not gain much. They have SyncML support
within Horde at the moment and it seems to work for some models. From
the point of view of a PHP web application it makes sense to provide
this within the framework provided by PHP rather than having the admin
compiling a binary which you won't be able to do on a plain web
server.

My impression about opensync is, that it is also still in very heavy
development. I tried to use their SyncML client for some testing and
simply failed. They seem to know that though :)

But the project seems to have a good direction and I can easily
imagine that the Kolab project in general can profit from that. If
we'd have a good python-kolab library it would be trivial to write a
syncml python plugin to make Kolab a SyncML server:

http://opensync.org/browser/plugins/python-module/src/sample.py

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg