OpenSuSE 10.3 integration

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Oct 14 08:00:10 CEST 2007

Hi Eric,

Eric K <eknuds-kolab at knudstrup.org> writes:

> I found the OpenSuSE 10.2 page (http://en.opensuse.org/Kolab), but I'd
> like to use 10.3 and divert from the tree as little as possible.
> Looking at the Wiki, the current SuSE Postfix package (2.4.5) should not
> need patching?

Right, the postfix patches went in with postffix-2.4.0 so there is no
patching needed.

> It looks like the only place it diverges is with c-client, cyrus imapd
> and PHP?

Exactly. All patches necessary for non-Kolab packages are being kept here:

http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/patches/

> I'd want to stick with the current PHP 5.2 as well.

No problem.

> Hooking in with Horde is also important to me.  I am using Horde IMP and
> the Contact/Calendar SyncML stuff right now.

The Horde patches are also in the directory given above. Are you using
Horde with a Kolab server right now? I'd not expect SyncML to work
with the Kolab drivers at the moment. The changes added to the Horde
share system still pose some problems to the internal API calls.

> How much work am I looking at?

A lot. It took me about half a year to get the first Kolab2/Gentoo
version that was clean enough to install for somebody other than me to
install. It might be easier now but it is still far from trivial. The
patching is not really a problem. I believe configuration and
packaging are the main problems.

> Should I create some packages and put them up somewhere?

I'd suggest to contact Richard Bos and Marcus Hüwe that are
responsible for the current Kolab2/OpenSuSE project. They both know
Kolab extremely well and are of course integration experts when it
comes to OpenSuSE. They were actually the ones that made integration
of the Kolab server in other platforms possible without extreme
hacking.

I guess they are also interested in OpenSuSE 10.3. So maybe there is a
chance to collaborate.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg