Connection Refused

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:43:54 CEST 2007

On 5/22/07, Paul Franklin <kolab at paulfranklin.org> wrote:
> Thank you; amavis seems to be working now.  But mail still doesn't go
> thru.
> I have two different things I'm trying, neither of which will work.  I
> try, from another box on the local network, to send a message from one
> account on the kolab  server to another.  Doing that from Thunderbird, I
> get a message that "The message could not be sent because connecting to
> SMTP server 192.168.1.2 failed."  On the ubuntu box where kolab is
> running, I tried
>
> telnet 127.0.0.1 25
>
> The other thing I'm trying to do is to download messages from my isp
> pop3 server using fetchmail.  Fetchmail seems to do ok when I issue the
> command at the prompt.  It logs in to the pop3 server, gets the 1 test
> message I have sent, and flushes it.  No error messages.  But then when
> I log in to my IMAP account on kolab, there are no new messages.
> In my attempts to get fetchmail to download messages, I installed
> sendmail.  It seemed right at the time, but I think it is conflicting
> with postfix.  If I stop sendmail, however, fetchmail spews forth
> messages about being unable to manage the SMTP connection to localhost.

You can only have one program waiting for connection on one port, 25 for SMTP.
It must be sendmail or postfix, not both.
Only postfix is working with kolab :-)
STOP sendmail and restart postfix
# /kolab/bin/openpkg rc postfix restart

Fetchamil will never make any difference between postfix, or sendmail.

> One other thing:  the postfix log file now has the following error messages:
> . . .  warning:  not owned by root: /kolab/etc/postfix/[various files]

not a problem, i have the same

> And before my latest fiddling,
> . . . fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use

This message should go away

> --Paul
>
> Paul Douglas Franklin
> Husband of Danette
> Father of 12
>
> Your readers, who with me have never seen any signs of sunshine before noon, and seldom regard the astronomical part of the almanac, will be as much astonished as I was, when they hear of his rising so early; and especially when I assure them, that he gives light as soon as he rises.
> --Benjamin Franklin, 1784
>

> Alain Spineux wrote:
> > It looks amavis is not working  (port 10024) try to restart postfix
> >
> > # /kolab/bin/openpkg rc postfix restart
> >
> > then try this
> >
> > # telnet localhost 10024
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 [127.0.0.1] ESMTP amavisd-new service ready
> > quit
> > 221 2.0.0 [127.0.0.1] amavisd-new closing transmission channel
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> >
> > Anyway look into the amavis log for any error message.
> >
> > Someone gets problem with amavis in this mailing list some days ago,
> > look the archive.
> >
> > BR
> >
> > On 5/21/07, Paul Franklin <kolab at paulfranklin.org> wrote:
> >> Greetings!
> >> I have set up Kolab and am attempting to do a couple of things that
> >> don't seem to want to happen.  The first is what I would think is the
> >> easiest:  send a message from one Kolab user on this box to another on
> >> the same box.  When I send a message, the sending computer gets no error
> >> message.  Everything appears fine.  But then when I log in as the other
> >> person, there is no mail.
> >> The postfix log says that the connection is refused on 127.0.0.1.  In
> >> the Privileged Networks box I have listed 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24.
> >> Kolab is running on an Ubuntu 7.04 server.
> >> Here are some lines from the postfix log:
> >>
> >> May 20 17:52:07 ubuntufs <info> postfix/smtp[18009]: A94D51160269:
> >> to=<pdf at paulfranklin.org>, relay=none, delay=1210, status=deferred
> >> (connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused)
> >> May 20 17:52:07 ubuntufs <info> postfix/smtp[18008]: connect to
> >> 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused (port 10024)
> >> May 20 17:52:07 ubuntufs <info> postfix/smtp[18009]: connect to
> >> 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]: Connection refused (port 10024)
> >>
> >> Can anyone straighten me out here?  I'm not very proficient in this.
> >> --Paul
> >>

> >> --
> >> Paul Douglas Franklin
> >> Husband of Danette
> >> Father of 12
> >>
> >> Your readers, who with me have never seen any signs of sunshine before
> >> noon, and seldom regard the astronomical part of the almanac, will be as
> >> much astonished as I was, when they hear of his rising so early; and
> >> especially when I assure them, that he gives light as soon as he rises.
> >> --Benjamin Franklin, 1784

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you