problems creating and deleting accounts

Nik777 kolab at babel.homelinux.net
Tue May 22 06:55:15 CEST 2007

Hi Alain,

Once again, thanks again for your quick input.

Just to keep everyone informed, I've discovered the following things:

1. When I checked today, the kolabd process was dead. I restarted it
with rc, and it started OK
1.1 When I checked the webmin pages, the limbo user has now been deleted
1.2 Creating a new mailbox from the webmin page now works.

2. I had restarted kolabd twice testerday, once specifically, and once
(presumably) with 'all' restart, yet apparently kolabd did not start up,
or died almost immediately (certainly before deleting the user awaiting
cleanup).

3. I can find no log of kolabd activity. The kolabd rc file lists a
resmgr log, a freebusy log and a fbview log. These appear to have been
showing activity even while the kolabd process was dead.
The directory /kolab/var/kolab/log is empty. I'll look through all the
config files, but if anyone can give me any tips on tracing kolabd
activity and errors, I would really appreciate it. If the post you
directed me to below has tips on this, then that is my next port of
call. :o)

4. The kolab clamd server keeps shutting itself down, apparently every
Sunday. I have no idea why. I re-started it last week when I noticed it
had been shutdown, and now I discover it shut down in the early hours of
Sunday morning again.

At the moment, I can live with kolabd dying occasionally. The only real
use we make of it (as far as I understand it) is when we create new user
accounts. However, I will need to find out why these processes are
shutting down, and figure out a way to keep them alive.

I am less happy about clamd shutting down, although we do have an
upstream email server running clamd at the moment, so we are not
completely unprotected. However, I did want to decomission that server
(hence the migration to Kolab).

The server computer is not short of disk space (the kolab area has about
400Gb free), and the system clock appears correct (within a few minutes).

Alain Spineux wrote:
> OPS: I remember I got a problem because the clock of my computer was
> wrong.
> look on of my previous post, title is : mailboxes not created until
> kolabd restart or kolabconf run : solution
Thanks. I'll read that post. However, the server's clock seems to be
correct.
I'll try running kolabconf this evening.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers!
Nik