Missing characters in Subject

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:19:22 CET 2007

On 3/20/07, André Karlsson <andre at solutrix.se> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 15:21, Alain Spineux wrote:
> > The problem is comming from your MUA, not encoding your Subject when
> > needed?
> >
> > Which MUA are you using when writing this email ?
> The problem is not when im sending the messages, but when i'm reciving
> them.

The MTA have the use to replace non encoded 8bit ascii char by ? or other
character

And amavis is complaining about a non encoded header ... I have no doubts.
I don't know who ( postfix, amavis, spamassassin  ) has "converted" the
invalid char into a X,
but it should append because SMTP only manage 7bit characters.

> header 'Subject': Subject: Travelpartner - V\345rrus med billig...

Here is a sample of an encode subject for Где остановиться (this is russian,
I thing)

Subject: =?KOI8-R?B?58TFIM/T1MHOz9fJ1NjT0Q==?=

But i mostly use Kmail 1.9.1 (bundeld with suse 10.1) and occationally
> outlook
> 2003, but the messages all look the same and they look the same in Horde
> groupware too.
>
> Best Regards André
> >
> > On 3/15/07, André Karlsson <andre at solutrix.se> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I noticed that all messages with one of the characters åäö ÅÄÖ
> (swedish)
> > > in
> > > the subject gets replaced with a capital X.
> > > The name Södretälje becomes SXdertXlje.
> > >
> > > The header gives the following info

> > > message header 'Subject': Subject: Travelpartner - V\345rrus med
> > > billig...
> > >
> > > I recon there is some kind of settings somewhere that I cant seem to
> > > locate
> > >

> > > Best Regards André

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com