Newbie questions about address book, configure client and others

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jul 23 13:54:48 CEST 2007

Rubén Gómez Antolí <lobo at mucharuina.com> writes:

> I continue with this thread,
>
> Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Rubén Gómez Antolí <lobo at mucharuina.com> writes:
>>
>>> - Address book. We want to share our contact globally, but kaddressbook
>>> (kontact client here) seems that "only" look for in share address book
>>> of kolab. We want add a contact in kaddressbook and automagically "up"
>>> to share address. It is possible? Maybe that I have something wrong
>>> configure or missed configured.
>>
>> In the kolab webadmin frontend you have the possibility to create
>> entries in a so called "Global Addressbook". These are stored in the
>> LDAP tree and not in an IMAP folder. This way they should be
>> accessible to all users on the system.
>>

> I know, but I want to do this:
>
> "User A" add a contact in his "kaddresbook" on "kontact". "User B"
> should access to these contact automatically when "User A" finish to add it.

That should be the case for any shared groupware folder. The folder
has to be accessible to both users and once User A finished editing,
User B needs to synchronize ("Check Mail") and should get the new or
updated entry.

> Add contacts throught webadmin is not the desired way.
>
>>> - Share calendar. In the test I'm doing to share appointments and to-dos
>>> I need to assing to a group in which I'm suscribe. Then I must to
>>> "receive" in Kmail to get a mail in which I receive the appointment, Is
>>> it the usual way?
>>
>> Hm, do you mean "synchronize" when you say "receive"?
>
> Yes? I mean to say "check mail in "kolab server" acount".
>
>> Kontact uses
>> disconnected IMAP which means that it tries to minimize the number of
>> times it has to connect to the IMAP server. So you have to explicitely
>> let it synchronize with IMAP in order to note new calendar items or
>> tasks. Was this what you meant?
>>

> Possibly yes. I repeat my question, Is this the usual way?

Yes, currently you will always have to synchronize to see new mail or
new groupware objects like addresses, notes, events and so on.

Cheers,

Gunnar