cyrus authentication problem

JOYDEEP j.bakshi at
Wed Feb 21 07:04:39 CET 2007

Dear list,

this is a general cyrus-imap problem which I am facing in my suse 10.1.
and I'm not using LDAP

the cyrus-imap admin user is cyrus and password --->  secret

# cat /etc/passwd | grep cyrus
cyrus:x:96:12:User for cyrus-imapd:/usr/lib/cyrus:/bin/bash

I hv no problem to log into cyradm like   * cyradm -u cyrus localhost*

now I hv created an user joydeep with  *saslpasswd2 -c joydeep*

but this time   * cyradm -u joydeep  localhost* is not working and it
throws an error like

Login failed: authentication failure at
line 118
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as joydeep

though the existance of the user joydeep is been confirmed by

# sasldblistusers2

joydeep at linux: userPassword

the hostname of this machine is linux.

could any one kindly suggest ?