How log rotation works

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Feb 16 08:09:56 CET 2007

Hi Roy,

> We moved servers and everything is working but the logs are not rotating.
> Does anyone have a place to start looking at this?
>
> I'm thinking we need to change owners.  The postfix logs are own by the kolab
> user.  I'm also not sure how to check dcron (if that is what does it).
>
> In /kolab/bin/crontab -e  is empty.

Kolab appends the Kolab specific entries to the standard /etc/crontab
of your system. In my case this got appended there:

# <OpenPKG prefix=/kolab pkg=openpkg>
# chronological tasks of /kolab OpenPKG hierarchy
0    0  1  *  *  root  [ -f /kolab/etc/rc ] && /kolab/etc/rc all monthly
0    0  *  *  0  root  [ -f /kolab/etc/rc ] && /kolab/etc/rc all weekly
0    0  *  *  *  root  [ -f /kolab/etc/rc ] && /kolab/etc/rc all daily
0    *  *  *  *  root  [ -f /kolab/etc/rc ] && /kolab/etc/rc all hourly
*/15 *  *  *  *  root  [ -f /kolab/etc/rc ] && /kolab/etc/rc all quarterly
# </OpenPKG>

So check for these entries in your /etc/crontab.

Cheers,

Gunnar