Two servers, Sendmail and Postfix(kolab) on the same domain

Donald d.donald at laposte.net
Sun Feb 11 20:26:17 CET 2007

Hello,

I actually use a Sendmail server in my network with two domains, my email addresses are like joe at domain1.com and joe at domain2.com and both points to the same mailbox (Joes's).
I have just set a new mail server with the "kolab" package which relies on a Postfix server.

My purpose is to migrate all existing mailboxes onto this new server. I intend to do it "smoothly" during few weeks.
This means we will have users on both servers during this time, for example Joe in Sendmail and John in Postfix.
Of course, Joe and John must be able to communicate each other.

I have found a solution for John to send mail to Joe by adding theses specific lines in the "transport" Postfix file:
joe at domain1.com smtp:[ip_Sendmail]
joe at domain2.com smtp:[ip_Sendmail]

On the opposite side (sendmail server to postfix one), I intended to use the virtusertable with something like:
john at domain1.com john at ip_Postfix
john at domain2.com john at ip_Postfix
but it doesn't work ...

When I send a mail from Joe to John, I receive an error from the mail server wich relays our messages with Internet telling me he is unable to find 'john at ip_Postfix'. So sendmail probably doesn't try to send this message locally to the postfix server.

If I try:
john at domain1.com john@[ip_Postfix]
john at domain2.com john@[ip_Postfix]
the message is sent localy but my Postfix server complain with:
<john@[ip_postfix]>: service unavailable. Command output: Failed to set
    recipient: Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with
    this name or you do not have authorization to see it. 5.1.1 User unknown,
    code 550

What is wrong, can somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Mo.