[Kde-pim] Sending invitations to Outlook users

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Fri Feb 9 09:27:26 CET 2007

On Thursday, February 8, 2007 05:33:41 PM Jan-Pascal van Best wrote:
> Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > Any news on this topic?
>
> Some. If I comment out the following line in KMKernel::openComposer in
> kmail/kmkernel.cpp :
>
>       msgPart->setContentDisposition( attachContDisp );
>
> the invitation is understood correctly.

Very coool :-)
yes, that makes it work with Outlook and a second test confirms that this does
not disturb Kolab/Kontact either.

> Maybe we need another legcy
> setting to handle this case. But invitation replies are assembled in the
> Callback::mailICal function. I haven't been able to get that method to
> generate invitation replies my Outlook understands.

Ah, I see. An invitation that I have to accept still does not work. The
Outlook users only gets an attachment mail.

> > I can second the problem. If you send an IMIP invitation outlook 2003 can
> > not handle Kontacts format if the outlook compatible option is on or off.
>
> I use Outlook 2000 with Exchange server 2003. I think an important issue
> is where you use Outlook with IMAP or POP, or with an Exchange server in
> native mode. In the latter case, I think Exchange interprets the
> groupware messages, which may explain why people all using the same
> version of Outlook get different results.

Our setup: Windows users have Outlook 2003 native (MAPI) on Exchange server
2003. Linux-Users (migration test group) use Kontact on Kolab. Collaboration
should be possible between Outllook and Kontact and should work with IMIP via
internet. This works partial with your patch.

Checking bugs.kde.org with "invitation outlook"  I did not found anything that
belongs to this topic. Shall I create a new one for changing/adding the
outlook compatible option? A better way would be to have this setup per
contact?
If e.g. Outlook 2007 does not have this mistake any longer you can use
standard IMIP. But if a user still has to use buggy Outlook 2003 a "mail
client" option per contact would be nice.

(I cc: this mail to the Kolab user ML as there are maybe some more users who
need Outllook compatible invitations without using a special connector.)

Thanks

  Thorsten
--
kontact --version