kindly guide me to solve cyrus-imap problem

JOYDEEP j.bakshi at unlimitedmail.org
Fri Feb 9 07:45:58 CET 2007

Hi everyone,

As kolab has cyrus-imap integrated in it; I may be permitted to ask some
help from the
experts having knowledge in cyrus-imap.

I hv just installed cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-27.6 with all supportive rpms
like sasl cyrus-seive
etc..   etc.....

saslauthd is working as  testsaslauthd is working like

# testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p secret
0: OK "Success."

cyrus is up and responding . pls see below

# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK kolkatainfoservices.in Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
- noop
- OK Completed
- LOGOUT
* BYE LOGOUT received
- OK Completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

# imtest localhost
S: * OK kolkatainfoservices.in Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN root {7}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 0
- LOGOUT
* BYE LOGOUT received
- OK Completed
Connection closed.

I hv installed web-cyradm to create cyrus users. I hv created an user
called joy at kolkatainfoservices.in  and found that  web-cyradm has given
username for that
email address as cyrus0001.

I have checked by acl by cyradm and found
localhost>   lam user.cyrus0001
                    cyrus0001 lrswipcda
                    cyrus lrswipcda

So in kmail i hv configured an account whose username is cyrus0001 with
correct password; server ip as 127.0.0.1; with out TLS and SSL  and
login as clear text.

but it say authintacation problem. could any one kidly point out what I
am missing herte ?
thanks