addressbook howto

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 8 10:47:17 CEST 2007

On Monday 06 August 2007 17:20, Liutauras Adomaitis wrote:
> can somebody explain how address book is working. As i see it, there are 3
> kinds of addressbook or what ever you call it:
> - personal contacts, contacts folder

Contacts folders can also be given ACLs and thus be used to model
a contact database for a group of people.

Something different are the LDAP based "addresses", which you have also
listed:

> - Internal contacts, the Kolab server users, the company users
> - external users, or external addressbook.

Now to your expectations:

> i expect that my contacts folder will keep my personal contacts, then
> searching address book will display me all the internal and external users.

Should work this way, if you only have our own contact folders and
the others configured as LDAP addresses.

> Now I can see, that I can invite attendees only then they are in my
> personal contacts folder.

No, you can invite any email address.
You will only get a freebusy list if you can access this for the email
address, but that does not keep you from sending out the invitation.

> I can search address book and add tem to
> personal, but i will need to to it every time new contact is added to
> internal or external addressbook.

Which client are you using.
My KDE Kolab Client (tested Kontact proko2 right now) does this correctly
and will also give me the LDAP results as potential completion if I start
typing in the invitation dialog.

Bernhard