Strange problems with kontact

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Apr 23 22:23:34 CEST 2007

On Monday 23 April 2007 13:42, ITSEF Admin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering whether anyone has seen problems similar to the ones we
> encoutered recently with kontact proko2.1.6:
>
> - We have at least two users where the passwords don't "stick", i.e.
> you choose to "keep password", but KMail keeps asking for the
> password. It doesn't matter whether the password was entered via the
> configuration dialogue or via the pop-up asking for it. Restarting
> kontact or even deleting and re-adding the account doesn't help. In
> one case, this is only the case for two out of four DIMAP accounts -
> the other two work fine. This problem occurred "out of the blue",
> i.e. it was working but stopped - and we cannot get it to work again.

This is just a wild guess, but due to recent changes in the Qt libraries
storing passwords containing a '!' doesn't work anymore. This problem
has already been fixed and the fix will be released with KDE 3.5.7 and
most likely also in some newer proko release.

> - We have one user who gets error messages about "authentication
> failed" for both sending and receiving mail. This will only happen if
> he tries to enter the password via the configuration screens with
> "store in configuration file". If he leaves the password
> configuration screen and enters the password via the resulting pop-up
> dialogue, everything works - the only annoying thing is that he has
> to re-enter the password for sending mail each and every time when he
> tries to send mail. Again, according to the user, this used to work
> fine but "suddenly stopped working". So far, I was unable to fix this
> - restarting kontact did not help, neither did removing and re-adding
> the sending account. I did check the configuration file and I could
> see that the password is indeed written to the configuration file,
> however, for some reasons it doesn't seem to get used properly...

See above.

For now changing the problematic passwords to passwords not including
a '!' should work.

Regards,
Ingo